Sunday, May 14, 2017

The Gift of "Motherhood"

Mother's Day is one that always brings a mixture of emotions- gratitude, joy, longing, hurt, disappointment, love, hope, and so many more. I have spent the past couple of days trying to process how I will put it all into words, and I am not sure it is possible.

As someone that grew up with a baby doll and diaper bag everywhere I went, carting my sweet baby neighbor around on my hip at the age of 9, playing with all the younger neighborhood kiddos as often as possible, deciding I was going to have 4 kids- 3 boys and 1 girl, all with "C" names- by the time I was in middle school, and dreaming of that day I would become a mother for as long as I can remember, I never thought I would be spending Mother's Day in my mid-30s without being a mother to my children of my own. But, here I am.

Each year as this day rolls around, I wonder why this is not part of my story, and with each year that passes, I wonder if it ever will. Over the last couple of years, I have/ continue to wrestle through those questions. And as I have gotten older, I wonder what I would do at this point if it does happen. For those that know me well, you know my love for sleep and free schedules. I have come to learn and appreciate how my plans can not compete with the plans the Lord has for me.

The Lord placed a love for children on my heart from the very start. That has not and will not ever change. I also know the Lord is fully aware of the fact that I do not have children of my own. I know He sees me. I know He hears me. I know He has plans for me. And I know He has allowed me to walk along side so many incredible mothers in my life who have allowed me to love on and cherish her children in a way that I will always treasure- as Aunt Rach, "second" mom, Ms. Rachel, teacher, friend, sister.

Kathryn (sister) and Marlo (sister-in-law)- you ladies mean more to me than you know. It is truly an honor to watch you mother my sweet nieces, nephew, and little Wyatt coming soon. Being an aunt has brought a joy in my life that I did not know existed and I know not all aunts get the pleasure of loving on her nieces and nephews like you have given me the opportunity to do. Thank you for giving me the gift of being Aunt Rach and allowing me to love Emily, Allison, Madelyn, Noah, and Wyatt like my own.




For those of you that have shared your babies with me, thank you does quite communicate what I would like to say to you. You have given me the gift of "motherhood" that I always desired. You have allowed me to love on your babies when they were hurting, laugh with them through the funny moments, share in the joy of "firsts" along the way, encourage them to keep going, cheer for them in their games, competitions, and academics, and simply enjoy the day to day. You share your greatest joy and treasure with me each day and for that I am beyond grateful.



God continues to fulfill that desire to be a mother in ways I could have never pictured as a young lady dreaming of being called mom. I am often asked if I want children of my own. Until last year my answer was always, "ABSOLUTELY." And while my answer is still, "I would love to be a mom..." it now includes "if that is what the Lord has for me. If not, I have many children in my life to love on and pour into."

For many of you reading, I know you relate to what I am saying. I have sat across from you or on the phone with you as you have shared your tears, hurts, and disappointments. For some, you sit in a similar position as I do with a desire to be a wife and mom. For some, you are married and either struggling to have children or at a point where having children of your own may no longer be possible. For others, your story may be one filled with infertility, losing a child, or even experiencing a strained relationship with a child. I don't know what your story holds, but I know your story matters. You are heard. You are seen. You are loved.

To all the moms in my life, you are amazing. Thank you for all you do as you raise up your sweet boys and girls. To all the aunts, friends, teachers, care-givers, sisters- you are just as amazing. The love you give to the children around you is a love that will encourage, lift up, and shape them each step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment